Lost camera floats to Taiwan

SUBHEAD: An underwater camera lost on Maui in 2007 beaches itself on Taiwan seven years later - images intact.

By Staff on 24 March 2013 for Hawaii News Now -
(http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/21781525/owner-of-camera-lost-on-maui-in-2007-found)


Image above: Image of back of lost camera. From original article.

After a camera lost on Maui nearly six years ago ended up in Taiwan, it didn't take long for Hawaii News Now to track down its owner.
Lindsay Scallan of Newnan, Georgia never imagined that she would see the precious photos from her past again. She snapped them during her Maui vacation in 2007, but lost her new camera during a night scuba dive in Kaanapali.
"The seas were really rough. There was a lot of sand stirred up. It was hard to see," said Scallan.
Scallan returned to the beach the next morning, hoping the camera had washed up on shore.
"But of course, we didn't find it, so at that point I just gave up. I was pretty disappointed because I had all my vacation pictures on there. Plus, the cost of the camera," Scallan said.
The Canon PowerShot was in a waterproof case and it drifted thousands of miles to Taiwan. A China Airlines employee discovered the camera on a beach last month. The airline asked Hawaii News Now to help find the owner seen in many of the pictures. Once the story hit the airwaves and the internet, Scallan's friend sent her a link.
"I just was floored that it was my camera and it was all my old pictures and it was amazing. I just couldn't believe it had floated so far, so long ago and the memory card was still intact," said Scallan.
China Airlines has offered to fly Scallan to Taiwan to be reunited with her camera, but she isn't sure if she can take time off from work since she just started a new job a week ago.
"Brought back some good memories, and some pictures I'd forgotten I'd taken. It was great. I'm curious to see what else was on there," said Scallan.


Image above: Image of Lindsay Scallan (r) and friend recovered from lost camera. From original article.


.

No comments :

Post a Comment